Do you love dogs? We do, too! National Dog Day is recognized worldwide on August 26th every year. To help you celebrate your precious pup, we have some fun ways for you to spend time with your favorite four-footed friend and make a day of it. For a beautiful short film in honor of dogs, check out the National Dog Day website, which states, “National Dog Day celebrates all breeds, pure and mixed, and serves to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, either from public shelters, rescues and pure breed rescues. National Dog Day honors family dogs and dogs that work selflessly to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day – for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for the disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.” Don’t have a dog but always wanted one? We encourage you to forgo the pet store in the mall and consider adopting a puppy mill survivor or abandoned dog from a local shelter.
Dogs love nothing more than to spend time with their owners. Here are some suggestions for bonding with your fur baby this year:
- Take your dog to the pool, lake, river, or beach. It’s hot, and our pups feel it, too. A fun time can be had by all when you and your pooch head for the water on a hot summer day. Just be sure not to take your dog to any body of water that has toxic algae, as this can be fatal for dogs. Check with local authorities to make sure the water is safe before diving in and cooling off with your pet.
- Enjoy a spa day. You love a spa day, right? Why not treat your pet to one, too? Better yet, drop your pup off for his or her day at the doggie spa, and go treat yourself to a manicure or pedicure (or both!) at your favorite day spa. You’ll both come out relaxed and beautified.
- Make a puppy play date with a friend. Get together with a friend and their pet and spend the day together. Hang out at home, head to the park, or book some time at a local doggie daycare with toys and room to run for your pet.
- Make a donation. Take blankets, food, or toys to a local non-profit pet shelter and donate them in your dog’s name. You’ll feel great, and you’ll bring joy and comfort to pets who don’t have their own special person yet.
- Volunteer. Visit a local shelter, doggie daycare, or kennel and volunteer some time to help make the lives of other dogs and cats better. Offer to socialize any dogs who haven’t spent time with a human that day and love them like they were your own.
- Make your pup famous. Spend the day taking photos of your dog and post them on social media for others to enjoy or enter them in a pet photo contest. Your pup just might become a star for everyone else, just like they are for you.
- Buy your pet some goodies. How long has it been since you got your pup something new? How about an embossed pet blanket to cushion a favorite napping corner, or a round pet toy bin for all those fun things he likes to play with? A colorful doormat tells everyone where your heart is before they enter your home, and a woof wall hook is the perfect place to hang your pet’s leash.
- Help a neighbor. Assisting an elderly or ill neighbor by walking their dog is a great way to get out and celebrate this special day. Buy your neighbor a pet-lover gift like a personalized coffee mug or “crazy dog people live here” plaque, and help them celebrate along with you.
- Hire a professional photographer or artist. Have a professional photo or portrait made of your pet and capture the love in her eyes for you. Hang it in a place of prominence and enjoy your pet’s face forever.
- Add a new member to the family. Consider adopting a dog that’s been abandoned and giving them a forever home. Your pet might be longing for a brother or sister, and you can help save another pet’s life and make a loving soul happy and content.
No matter how you decide to celebrate National Dog Day this year, we hope you enjoy all the wonderful things dogs bring to our lives, like unconditional love, acceptance, puppy dog eyes, and a tail that wags just for you. Share your love of dogs with fellow pet lovers with a unique pet gift from Current.