There are many things about growing old that we’d probably rather avoid—like all the aches and pains and having to find just the right medicated cream for sore knees. After all, it takes some effort adjusting to aging.
Ok, so aging is mandatory, but nobody ever said we had to get old, or even grow up for that matter! Getting older might mean making adjustments to our life, but it also has a whole lot of perks, too.
- You are suddenly on trend again because everything old is new again.
- You can be happier than ever. Research has shown that “mature” neurons in older brains react less intensely to negative experiences while responding strongly to positive.
- You are old enough to know that nobody is really all that smart. You just get less stupid with more experience.
- Our minds work like lightening. One brilliant flash and it is gone.
- You never have to pass up an opportunity to pee.
- Senior discounts. ‘Nuff said.
- You can dress like Cindi Lauper and nobody thinks twice.
- Your tattoos morph and it’s kind of cool.
- You never really worry about buying the extended warrantee.
- You can eat supper at 3 PM and go to bed happy.
- Your joints alert you to the weather before the news cast.
- You do not have to worry about failing eyesight. You’ve already seen it all.
- You can stay up late watching TV without interruptions. Everyone thinks you go to bed at 6 PM.
- You can go through airport security without being strip searched.
- Your secrets are safe because your friends can’t remember them.
- You discover you like elevator music. Sometimes.
- You can say whatever you want because people your age won’t remember tomorrow and younger people think you are nuts anyway.
- People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
- All of your friends are old ones. And new.
- You finally know what really counts.
- Most importantly, you have more time to invest in the things that really matter.
Aging isn’t a cakewalk, but with age comes some of the best of life—like deeper friendships, broader insights, and finally understanding health insurance plans. You know, smelling like Ben-gay isn’t so bad after all.