America Recycles Day is a Keep America Beautiful initiative which takes place on November 15th; a day designed to educate and motivate Americans to consciously up their recycling game and promote a world less cluttered. On their website, the folks behind America Recycles Day give everyone the opportunity to pledge to #berecycled, and offer a helpful step by step guide to walk you through how to organize a community recycling event in your city or town. Don’t have the time to organize an event, but want to attend one? No problem; the website also offers a map of registered events, so you can find an event near you to attend.
Want to recycle but not sure what you should trash and what can be recycled? No problem, the website also offers a list of recyclable materials, from cartons to plastic bags and bottles, and unused electronics to unwanted mail. There’s even a handy Recycling Locator that lets you put in your zip code and choose from a list of recyclable materials to find where to take your plastic bags, bottles, jugs, used electronics and peripherals, cameras, shoes, clothing, appliances, and furniture.
The current recycling rate in America is just 34%, so there’s obviously room for improvement! Recycling offers so many benefits, it really doesn’t make sense not to recycle. When you recycle, you help:
- Reduce non-biodegradable waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Keep our oceans and waterways clean
- Provide materials for alternative energy sources
- Help create jobs in America’s recycling and manufacturing industries
- Promote personal responsibility
- Keep your city clean
- Save energy
- Support American manufacturing and conserve valuable resources
- Keep our national parks and recreational areas beautiful
- Conserve natural resources such as water, timber, and minerals
- Promote greener living
- Reduce pollution
We encourage you to take the pledge and get involved in America Recycles Day on November 15th, and help make our world a better, cleaner, healthier place.