At Current, we love Christmas time! In the recent past we’ve talked about the basics of wrapping a gift, the different types of giftwrap for different people, how to accessorize your gifts with ribbons, bows, package toppers, stickers, ornaments, and natural elements. Now that we’ve covered everything about how to giftwrap, we’re going to talk about the tools of the trade; everything you need to wrap your Christmas gifts like a pro.
Let’s begin with the 10 basic giftwrap tools you’ll need to wrap your gifts:
- Boxes of various sizes
- Wrapping paper
- Padding for inside your gift boxes
- Colored tissue paper
- Gift bags for those items that work better in bags than boxes
- Sharp pair of scissors
- Regular cellophane tape or two sided tape
- Something to measure with
- Name tags or colored markers
- Accessories (bows, package toppers, natural elements, ornaments, candy canes, etc.)
Once you have all the necessary tools, give yourself plenty of time to wrap your gifts. Wrapping gifts doesn’t have to take a lot of time, but it’s much better to allow yourself the time to enjoy what you’re doing and a little extra, just in case you need to redo something or decide to add a little extra embellishment.
Current is excited to offer you a couple of exciting wrapping paper storage and tools this year. Wrap Buddies® is a super smart giftwrap tool that will save you time and frustration during your gift-wrapping sessions this year. This handy device clamps securely onto the edge of your table and can be repositioned to hold any size roll of Christmas giftwrap. Each side includes an integrated tape dispenser, so you’ll never lose track of your tape as you wrap.
Christmas flip wraps make keeping your wrapping paper rolls securely rolled. With a slap, each flat, silicone-covered metal strip flips itself into a secure circle enclosing your roll. Finally, store your wraps in one of our gift wrap organizers, either hanging in the closet or securely slipped into a vinyl bag and pushed under a bed.
Now that you’re all set with your giftwrap tools, here are a couple of great hacks you can use to step up your gift wrapping game this year. First, the Present Pocket hack. This is a great way to tuck a card, candy cane, or sprig of holly to the top of a present without using tape. This hack works best for rectangular shaped gifts.
- Place your gift at an angle by the left corner of a rectangular shaped piece of wrapping paper.
- Next, fold the left side of the paper over the gift, then fold the top piece of paper down and secure with tape.
- Then take the long end of the paper, fold in the side and then fold the paper over the gift and secure with tape.
- Take your final corner and fold the paper down along the side of your gift and secure it with a piece of tape.
- One side of the gift will look like a regularly wrapped present, but the other side will have pockets you can use to insert cards or extra little surprises that will delight the person receiving the gift. Watch this simple video to see how to create a present pocket.
Make Your Own Gift Bag
This is a great way to wrap a gift using giftwrap instead of buying a gift bag. View the second half of how to make your own gift bag video for a simple demonstration.
- Take a piece of wrapping paper and fold both sides into the middle until they meet but don’t overlap. Secure with tape.
- Fold the bottom up to the middle of the paper, then pull the top layer down to form a triangle.
- Fold both points of the triangle in to the center and tape them together, forming the bottom of the gift bag.
- Insert your gift into the open end of the paper gift bag, fold over and secure with tape.
- Add a bow, gift tag, or ribbon and you’re done!