June is the month lots of us finally have the chance to get outdoors and enjoy the sunshine, perhaps for the first time in months. It makes sense, therefore, that June is National Great Outdoors Month and National Camping Month because camping is one of the nation’s favorite ways to enjoy the great outdoors.
What started as Great Outdoors Week back in 1998 has grown into a month-long celebration of being outside and connecting with nature. National Great Outdoors Month encourages all of us to connect with and enjoy America’s great outdoors, and camping is a perfect way to do just that. Why not plan to join thousands of other campers during the Great American Campout on June 23, 2018, sponsored by the National Wildlife Federation? This event poses a perfect opportunity to escape the indoors and go camping with your family and friends. Pack up your tent, sleeping bags, coolers, camping cookbook, picnic plates, and everything else you need to enjoy some time in the woods, and enjoy some “down time” with those you love. Explore somewhere new, or head out to a favorite destination and make some summertime memories. Hang out your personalized camping flag for friends to find you and stake your claim to a good time.
- Camping gets you (and the kids!) away from technology
- Food tastes better cooked over a campfire (Check out these great camping recipes!)
- Fall asleep to the sound of crickets or a gently flowing stream
- Get away from the congestion of city traffic
- Enjoy breathing fresh air
- Bond with your kids as you hike, swim, or fish together
- Reduce depression and anxiety up to 71%
- Get your Vitamin D from sunshine instead of supplements
- Socialize with friends and family
- Eliminate stress by getting away from it all
Great Outdoors Month also features National Trails Day®, National Fishing and Boating Week, the Great American Backyard Campout, National Marina Day, and National Get Outdoors Day. Clearly, June is the month to get outside and escape the indoors!